When people start new projects they’ll often put heavy emphasis on drill choice, often forgetting the importance of drill bits.
The best cobalt drill bits can make a huge difference in how you work. Without quality bits, your drill is practically useless. This is why we’ve set out a goal to rank some of the best options on the market today based on different needs.
- Best Cobalt Drill Bits Comparison and Review
- 8. Best durable cobalt drill bits: Stroton Metric M42 8% Cobalt Twist Drill Bits Set
- 7. Best affordable cobalt drill bits: Neiko 01925A Screw Extractor and Left Hand Drill Bit Set
- 6. Best cheap cobalt drill bits: Bosch CO2143 1/4 In. x 4 In. Cobalt Drill Bits
- 5. Best industrial-grade cobalt drill bits: IRWIN Industrial Tools 316015 Cobalt Drill Bits
- 4. Best reliable cobalt drill bits: DEWALT DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bits
- 3. Best-sized cobalt drill bits: CO-Z 5pcs HSS Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit
- 2. Best value cobalt drill bits: IRWIN Drill Bit Set, M35 Cobalt Steel, 29-Piece (3018002)
- 1. Best quality cobalt drill bits: Powerextra Step Drill Bit Set & Automatic Center Punch 5pcs HSS Cobalt Titanium
- Final thoughts
Best Cobalt Drill Bits Comparison and Review
We’ve gathered some of the best cobalt drill bits that you can find online today.
These cobalt drill bits have made our list for several reasons, including price, durability, and overall usefulness. All of these are designed to work with some of the best cordless drills on the market.
We’ve also ranked these drill bits based on their main feature. Along with the pros and cons, our list for the best cobalt drill bits on the market today will help you make a decision more easily.
8. Best durable cobalt drill bits: Stroton Metric M42 8% Cobalt Twist Drill Bits Set
Weight: 10.4 ouncesDimensions: 7.3 x 5.2 x 1.6 inchesMaterial: CobaltMeasurement system: Metric
With a heavy emphasis on durability, the Stroton Metric M42 8% Cobalt Twist Drill Bits Set is a good choice for working with stainless steel and hard metal.
The 3-step design allows these cobalt bits to cut through numerous materials, including plastics and aluminum. And the sharp bit edge allows you to keep up speed even when drilling through dense objects.
- Highly durable and affordable.
- Works with hard metals, stainless steel, and other materials as well.
- The bits’ design makes them less prone to chipping.
- Drill bit diameter allows these to be used with up to 2000 RPM.
- Some customers claimed their kit came with missing bits.
- Can slow down if dealing with thicker materials.
The Stroton Metric M42 8% Cobalt Twist Drill Bits Set is a good choice when it comes to reliability.
Users love them for their ease of use, and the way that the bits are shaped makes them excellent for drilling into all sorts of materials.
7. Best affordable cobalt drill bits: Neiko 01925A Screw Extractor and Left Hand Drill Bit Set
Weight: 11.2 ouncesDimensions: 5.7 x 4.5 x 0.8 inchesMaterial: Cobalt coatingMeasurement system: Inch
Left-handed cobalt drill bits seem to be a rarity, and the Neiko 01925A Screw Extractor and Left Hand Drill Bit Set is among the least expensive on this list.
Extraction bits easily remove broken screws, studs, bolts, and other fittings. They’re primarily intended for use on small projects.
The Neiko Left Handed Cobalt drill bits set features spiral flutes on screw extractors that dig into the screw, increasing grip as torque is applied. This makes your job much easier when having to replace screws.
- They’re a perfect match for smaller projects that one needs to simply get to in a hurry.
- The low price means you don’t have to worry about damaging or losing them.
- These bits are a perfect spare to keep around for emergencies.
- Durability is fairly low, making them highly disposable.
- Coated with cobalt instead of being made entirely from cobalt.
The Neiko 01925A Screw Extractor and Left Hand Drill Bit Set might not be the most durable item on our list, but they’re worth the price.
These cobalt-coated drill bits are good for keeping around as a spare. Furthermore, the set includes 10 bits with different sizes, and they are all quite reliable for lightweight projects.
6. Best cheap cobalt drill bits: Bosch CO2143 1/4 In. x 4 In. Cobalt Drill Bits
Weight: 0.64 ouncesDimensions: 5.9 x 1.6 x 0.4 inchesMaterial: CobaltMeasurement system: Inch
The Bosch CO2143 1/4 In. x 4 In. Cobalt Drill Bits have made our list for the best cobalt drill bits list in large part due to the excellent price.
These are some of the less expensive options that you might find both online and in hardware stores throughout the country.
However, the price also tends to reflect the set’s overall usability. The Bosch CO2143 1/4 In. x 4 In. Cobalt Drill Bits won’t last nearly as long as others on this list. But for a quick repair job, they’re still an excellent choice, and the price is unbeatable.
- It stands up surprisingly well when used on metal.
- The set can withstand temperatures that most people would assume only higher-priced bits can take – up to around 1,100 F.
- Each bit can cut even through angled iron.
- The price is an absolute bargain – it’s affordable for absolutely anyone.
- Your expectations should be as low as the price.
- It handles hard metal. But at a certain density point, you should consider upgrading to other options.
An excellent choice for those looking for a throwaway job, the Bosch CO2143 1/4 In. x 4 In. Cobalt Drill Bits can drill even through angled iron.
As long as you keep your expectations low and only use the set for a limited number of small jobs, you’ll be more than happy with these cheap cobalt drill bits.
5. Best industrial-grade cobalt drill bits: IRWIN Industrial Tools 316015 Cobalt Drill Bits
Weight: 6.4 ouncesDimensions: 10.2 x 10.9 x 11.1 inchesMaterial: Cobalt with Black Oxide FinishMeasurement system: Inch
The IRWIN 316015 Cobalt Drill Bits instantly showcase a higher level of quality.
They’re presented cleanly in an organized manner that helps you instantly choose the right bit for a job.
The IRWIN 316015 Cobalt Drill Bits’ design allows them to be used with harder than standard materials. And reduced shank above 3/8-Inch allows the use of larger drill bits in a 3/8-inch chuck.
- It’s easily among the best cobalt drill bits set for more professional-grade projects.
- The bits are made of high-quality cobalt steel.
- It has a design intended for resharpening at a later date.
- Reduced shank also allows for use of larger drill bits in a 3/8th inch chuck.
- They tend to walk on harder projects.
- Reduced speed when cutting through steel.
The IRWIN 316015 Cobalt Drill Bits have garnered much praise from the people who bought them.
People love their versatility and compatibility with numerous drills on the market. The reduced shank offers immense value, as it allows bigger bits to fit in a standard 3/8-inch chuck.
4. Best reliable cobalt drill bits: DEWALT DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bits
Weight: 12.8 ouncesDimensions: 8.8 x 1.7 x 8.8 inchesMaterial: CobaltMeasurement system: Metric
DEWALT’s DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bits are one of the best choices from this reliable brand.
The main gain comes from what materials you can use with this cobalt drill bit set.
The DEWALT DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bits can be used for denser materials. And it combines that capability with higher supported speed and user control.
- The set designed to work and maintain itself under rough usage conditions.
- It supports both a pilot point and split tip design.
- Can easily drill through thick materials.
- The case is sturdy and well organized.
- They can heat up quickly if used for hours on end.
- This kit does not have a 1/2″ bit.
With only a 1/2″ bit missing, the DEWALT DWA1240 Pilot Point Industrial Cobalt Drill Bits are an overall excellent choice.
The 3-flats no-spin shank offers great control over your drilling even at higher speeds. And the fact that they’re compatible with a plethora of the best Dewalt drills makes them even better.
3. Best-sized cobalt drill bits: CO-Z 5pcs HSS Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit
Weight: 1.1 poundsDimensions: 4.3 x 1.6 x 6.1 inchesMaterial: Titanium CobaltMeasurement system: inch
The CO-Z Cobalt Drill Bits offer compatibility with 1/4th, 3/8th and ½” chuck sizes.
These cobalt drill bits work with material as light as wood and as heavy as aluminum or steel.
The CO-Z Cobalt Drill Bits’ non-walking drill tip provides fast and smooth drills on steel sheets, aluminum sheets, wood boards, plastic boards, and numerous other materials that you might need to work with as a professional driller.
- They’re a solid choice for somewhat larger projects.
- It works well on plastic, but not quite as well on non-ferrous materials.
- Great value for a decent price.
- Different sized shanks ensure compatibility with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in. chuck sizes.
- The overall durability is a little less than you might hope for the price.
- Long term use with heavier material might dull the bits at a faster rate than expected.
The CO-Z Cobalt Drill Bits are some of the best cobalt drill bits when it comes to value for money.
Each bit comes in different shapes and sizes, with multiple steps to assure versatility when dealing with larger and smaller projects alike.
Although not as durable as other cobalt drill bits on the market, they’re worth it for the price alone and they will last you for a decent enough time to finish several works.
2. Best value cobalt drill bits: IRWIN Drill Bit Set, M35 Cobalt Steel, 29-Piece (3018002)
Weight: 4.5 poundsDimensions: 12 x 7.5 x 4 inchesMaterial: CobaltMeasurement system: inch
The IRWIN Cobalt Drill Bit Set covers sizes from 1/16” to ½”.
Each of the bits has a 1/64” split. This top-of-the-line cobalt drill bit set comes with heavy-duty web construction for added strength and durability.
The IRWIN Cobalt Drill Bit Set is a phenomenal choice for working with stainless steel. The larger bits are 3-flat spot cut and, the smaller ones are round cut, which gives you the needed versatility when drilling complex projects.
- These bits are meant to last longer than other options currently on the market.
- The included case provides easy organization and on the fly selection.
- Overall durability is further guaranteed thanks to the web construction and cobalt base.
- Cuts butter-smooth through dense materials.
- The price is higher than other options on the market.
- No hex or flatted shank is included in this set.
IRWIN’s M35 Cobalt Drill Bit Set is an immensely valuable cobalt drill bit set.
While the price might be higher than most other options, it makes up for it with huge quality. Every cobalt drill bit in this package cuts without any hiccups.
The case that these come in is sturdy and reliable, while also allowing you to easily select the exact bit you need. With powerful web construction and a strong cobalt base, you can rest assured that these will last you a long time.
1. Best quality cobalt drill bits: Powerextra Step Drill Bit Set & Automatic Center Punch 5pcs HSS Cobalt Titanium
Weight: 1.24 poundsDimensions: 5.9 x 5.1 x 1.5 inchesMaterial: HHS Titanium CobaltMeasurement system: inch
Some of the best cobalt drill bits take into account different shapes and sizes.
The Powerextra Step Drill Bit Set’s HSS step design allows for a single bit design to cover more ranges.
It essentially means that you can cover around five standard hole measurements with the use of a single drill bit. The titanium coating protects these reliable cobalt drill bits from rust.
The center punch reduces wobbling and allows for easier targeting of the exact spot that you want to drill in. With the Powerextra Step Drill Bit Set’s flexibility, you’ll have no problem covering a multitude of projects that require different sized holes.
- The cobalt drill bit set rethinks some standard conventions in drill bit design.
- Greater range of use, better speeds, and overall better user experience.
- The price point is also surprisingly low given the amount of innovation it provides.
- X-shape cutting blades design enables faster and smoother cutting.
- The set doesn’t last as long as others if used against stainless steel.
- It takes a while for beginners to get used to the multi-step design.
The Powerextra Step Drill Bit Set comes in a variety of sizes to fit plenty of lightweight and heavy-duty projects.
All the bits in this set come will come in handy eventually for professionals and those who take complex DIY projects seriously.
We recommend pairing them with the best benchtop drill presses in general. However, you can also use these on any type of drill you like.
The PowerextraStep Drill Bit Set earned first place on our list because of some innovative design choices.
However, ranking the best cobalt drill bits is subjective. There are several other options for good reason. Different jobs and styles call for different drill bit sets.
Sometimes you may need a durable drill bit that will last for years. Other times a disposable option is a good choice. Whatever your needs may be, now you have some excellent cobalt drill bits to choose from.