Many homes or buildings contain porcelain tiles, such as on the walls or floors, which may require drilling to perform certain plumbing jobs or installations, such as a towel rack. However, because porcelain tile is harder and denser than other tiles, it typically requires a special drill bit for maximum results.
The best drill bit for porcelain tile is the carbide drill bit. They are stronger and stay sharper longer than most other drill bits, which makes them useful for cutting impervious materials, such as porcelain tile. Carbide drill bits range in price anywhere from about $8 for a set all the way up to about $20 for specialty pieces. Some of the most popular choices for the best drill bit for porcelain tile of 2020 are as follows, which are ranked based on material, user’s opinion, rating, and usability.
1. Qwork 5 Pcs Set (6, 6, 8, 10, 12 mm) Multi-Material Drill Bit Set For Tile, and more
The Qwork 5 Pcs Multi-Material Drill Bit Set contains 2 x 1/4″, 1 x 5/16″, 1 x 3/8″, and 1 x 1/2″ Tungsten carbide spearhead drill bits, which are uniquely designed to cut through hard materials, such as tile, glass, concrete, brick, and more. They also contain a U type slot as part of their design, which provides fast drilling and dust removal.
- Includes various drill bits for completing different tasks, and they are made by the same factory that produces products for large international tool brands
- The carbide tip easily and smoothly penetrates porcelain. material, and the edge remains sharp even after drilling several holes
- Easily handles any masonry after it
- U slot design for easy dust removal
- 3-flats shanks hold bit drill stably in place
- Excellent quality and price
- Black and silver color
- The bit will run hot and get dull quickly if you do not constantly use water while drilling, which can cause the process to take longer
2. Little Smith 5 Pcs Multi-Material Drill Bit Set
The Little Smith 5 Pcs Multi-Material Drill Bit Set Masonry Drill Bits with Surface Coating Process, Drilling In Tile, and more is a 2 x 1’4″, 1 x 5/16″, 1 x 3/8″, and 1 x 1/2″ multi-material drill bit set, which contains a cemented carbide tip with a high quality slotted alloy cutting head for making smooth and precise cuts. They also contain a unique triangular shaped handle, so the drill can be tightened and not slip, as well as a neat, smooth opening, so there is little resistance, which helps prevent heat.
- The high-quality cemented carbide cutting head is great for cutting porcelain tiles
- Provides little cutting resistance for higher drilling efficiency
- Anti-skid triangular handle
- Paint treated to prevent rust
- Black & Silver color
- Great price
- This could be the best drill bit for porcelain tile, but there’s always a chance that the drill tips can break if the drill is not kept vertical while drilling
3. Eagle Tool EM25072 Flex Shank Installer Drill Bit
The Eagle Tool EM25072 drill bit works well with tiles, concrete, brick, and other masonry products. It features a 1/4″ head diameter, a 3/16″ shank diameter, and a 72″ length just perfect for reaching hard to reach places. It also includes a non-slip grip and fish accommodation holes in the flexible spring steel and bit for fishing wires.
- High-quality carbide tip masonry bit
- Good fit for hard to reach places
- 3 flat non-slip grip on the end
- Flexible spring steel shank with wire fishing accommodation holes in the shank and the head
- A bit pricey
4. Magbit 781.24.0816 Mag 7 1/2″ x 24″
The Magbit Carbide Tipped Bellhanger Drill Bit is a longer drill bit, which provides extra reach. In addition to containing a durable carbide tip, which is great for cutting porcelain tile, it also includes a fisheye hole near the tip to help with pulling wires.
- Length and diameter good for hard to reach tasks
- The durable carbide tip is strong enough to cut porcelain tile and fast
- Fisheye hole aids in pulling wire
- When used with a normal drill, it may take longer, which also increases the risk of grinding away the humbs on the tip
- A bit pricey
5. Eaninno 5 Piece Multi-Material Twist Drill Bits Set
The Eaninno 5 Piece Multi-Material Twist Drill Bits Set, Carbide Tip for Tile contains two 1/4″, one 5/16″, a 3/8″, and one 1/2″ spear pointed, Tungsten carbide tipped drill bits. They also come standard with a U groove drill design for fast drilling and easy chip removal, as well as a surface rust treatment for longevity. Their solid drill bit openings also help eliminate tremors.
- Spear pointed tip for easy drilling
- Solid masonry bit openings are smooth to prevent tremors and create fast opening speed and easy chip removal
- Five piece set includes many popular sizes for completing a variety of tasks
- Black & Silver color
- Reasonably priced
- May snap if not angled properly
6. UEUC Multi-Material Glass and Tile Hole Saw Drill Bit
The UEUC Multi-Material Glass and Tile Hole Saw Drill Bit contains multiple drill sizes, including 2 x 1/4″, 1 x 5/16″, 1 x 3/8″, and 1 x 1/2″ bits. Each bit also contains a carbide tip with a reinforced head that enables clean drill holes in hard materials without cracking the bit. It also contains a U type slot for quick drilling and dust removal.
- 5 piece set perfect for completing various jobs
- Double slot drilling design allows for faster drilling
- U slot design removes dust and chips and helps prevent plugs from being stuck in drill
- 3-flats shanks allows drill bit to easy plug and to be held easily
- Reasonably priced
- May wobble when cutting through some materials
7. Afunta 6 PCS Tungsten Carbide Drill Bit Set
The Afunta 6 PCS Tungsten Carbide Drill Bit Set contains 2 x 0.23″, 2 x 0.31″, 1 x 0.39″, and 1 x 0.47″ carbide tipped bits with a reinforced spearhead design to prevent bit cracking and extend the life of your equipment. They also include a 3-flats shank, which allows drill bit easy plug for efficient drilling, and a U type design for quick drilling dust remove.
- The durable Tungsten carbide tip and reinforced spearhead design easily penetrates hard materials without cracking
- It may not be the very best drill bit for porcelain tile, but the U-slot design provides fast drilling and dust removal
- 3-flats shanks allows drill bit easy plug
- Price slightly higher than similar sets
Interested in more options? You can check out our reviews of the best cobalt drill bits you can purchase today.
Remember, the best drill bit for porcelain tile is a carbide tip drill bit. It offers the best cutting for porcelain tile. When drilling porcelain tiles, you should also remember to use water or a coolant as a lubricant in the process, which will help keep the drill bit cool and also prolong the life of your equipment. You should also keep in mind that some drill bits work best with a hammer drill, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions as well as the proper setting for your task to prevent damaging your bits.
After completing your project with one of the drill bits in the list, feel free to share your thoughts, questions, and experience with the best drill bit for porcelain tile of choice.