Having the right drill bit for the job is crucial. Different bits are meant for different jobs, so it’s a good idea to take this into consideration before starting to work. After all, if you don’t have the right drill bit, then the actual drill itself is irrelevant.
And without the right tool, you will need to go back to the drawing board and restart the whole project. Today we’ll be focusing on the best drill bits for hardened steel available in 2020.
We will be ranking the best ones by considering underlying material, price and consumer experience. We will take all these factor into consideration to ensure that you can finish projects involving hardened steel efficiently.
Note: You might also want to wear a proper protection mask when working with hardened steel.
- 9. HYCLAT 5pcs Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
- 8. Hymnorq Metric M35 Cobalt Steel Drill Bit Set
- 7. Hazlo Masonry Drill Bit Set
- 6. DEWALT DW5204 Premium Percussion Masonry Drill Bit
- 5. Tooluxe 10171L Titanium Drill Bit
- 4. CO-Z Cobalt Drill Bit
- 3. Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit
- 2. TEMO M35 Cobalt Spiral Flute Step Drill bit
- 1. IRWIN Industrial Tools 316015 Cobalt Drill Bit
- Frequently Asked Questions
9. HYCLAT 5pcs Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
The five bits found in this package enable you to drill 50 different sizes. Each step drill bit can drill several bore diameters. They are made with classic and sturdy high-speed steel with titanium coating for proven capability and durability when drilling through hardened steel and several other materials.
- They come shipped with a sturdy aluminum case.
- Smooth an efficient cutting provided by the three-sided shank and double cutting blades.
- Highly versatile, can be used on several materials.
- The case doesn’t look as good as you might think, despite its durability.
The set is surprisingly good for its price. You’ll receive high value and efficiency with this package. To top it all off, they come with a two-year warranty, so in case your bits get broken, you can contact customer support to have them replaced or exchanged for something similar.
8. Hymnorq Metric M35 Cobalt Steel Drill Bit Set
These bits are heat resistant, made with M35 cobalt steel, and they come in a package of 50 pieces. The 135° Quick-Cut points are self-centering and penetrate quickly with less pressure. As such, they will fit any standard-sized drill chuck and you’ll have no problem accurately drilling with them.
- Having 50 bits of different sizes means you won’t run out anytime soon, and you can use them for a multitude of projects.
- They are manufactured in Germany, a country that is appreciated for top-tier engineering.
- The bits are also suitable for other types of metal.
- If you try drilling at an angle, the bits might break.
- They are not meant for bigger projects, as the largest bit is just 6.5 mm.
The price to value ratio is decent when looking at the overall quality. These bits are good for hardened steel as well as other metals that you might need to work with.
The bits on our list go well with the best power drills.
7. Hazlo Masonry Drill Bit Set
The Hazlo masonry drill bit set isn’t specifically designed for hardened steel. But the carbide coating ensures that it’s up to the task. The steep flutes allow it to remove material as you are drilling it. It comes at a fairly low cost. And it has an additional chrome plating to further extend overall usage time.
- It’s not designed for a single task, which brings a certain level of versatility to the drill bit. This places it among the best drill bits for hardened steel meant for a project of larger overall scope.
- It’s a good choice if you need to push through a wider variety of materials. This can turn a complex project into a simpler one and cut down on wasted time.
- The fact that it’s not specifically designed for hardened steel might mean that it will probably not last as long as other choices.
Coming in a hard casing that keeps everything tidy, this drill bit set features a carbide steel build that’s fairly resistant even during prolonged use. The anti-rust chrome plating further extends the bits’ lifespan, while also reducing friction.
6. DEWALT DW5204 Premium Percussion Masonry Drill Bit
This is another drill set intended for more versatile use. It’s primarily marketed for people interested in masonry projects. But it’s still among the best drill bits for hardened steel in case you need an extra level of versatility. The carbide construction offers an acceptable level of strength for most projects.
- It comes at a fairly good price and offers a high level of versatility.
- The overall build quality is also far higher than one might expect for a lower cost drill bit.
- The tip reduces walking on the steel’s surface.
- The three flats on the shank eliminate bit slipping in the chuck.
- It’s not specifically intended for projects involving hardened steel. As a result it might dull faster than some of the more focused items on this list.
Dewalt is one of the top drilling brands, and this set doesn’t disappoint. While the bits may not be specifically targeted at hardened steel, they manage to do a phenomenal job.
5. Tooluxe 10171L Titanium Drill Bit
The Tooluxe drill bit comes with a titanium construction. This instantly pushes it higher for those looking to find the best drill bits for hardened steel. The set comes at a decent price and the hex shank provides extra stability when you insert it in the drill’s chuck.
- The lower price makes it easier to purchase in bulk.
- Although these aren’t really options for long term use, they are fine for a quick purchase for finishing projects rapidly.
- Hex shank provides extra stability.
- The titanium coating does give a lot of extra power, but it still might not be enough for a larger project with hardened steel.
- One shouldn’t be too surprised to find that it doesn’t last much longer than the masonry focused options.
While this might not be the most sought after set for hardened steel specifically, the low price and its versatility place easily earn it a place on our list.
If you’re a professional, you might also be interested in the best drill bits for porcelain tile.
4. CO-Z Cobalt Drill Bit
The CO-Z cobalt drill bit is a big jump up in quality. It uses cobalt construction to push up the overall build quality. It’s compatible with ¼” to ½” chunk sizes. On top of that it features several usability improvements over lower priced options. And the drill tips completely eliminate walking on hardened steel surfaces.
- The overall build quality is quite high.
- The cobalt and titanium structure ensures that it’s able to handle hardened steel quite easily.
- It even features some niceties like easy to read rings.
- Different sized shanks ensure compatibility with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in. chuck sizes.
- The cost can be up to three times that of the lowest priced items. However, this places it among the best drill bits for hardened steel if you seek quality over quantity.
This set is one of the more premium options on our list, and for good reason. Although it includes only five bits, they are all projected in such a way that you can drill different sized holes without much hassle. It’s an excellent choice if you prefer quality builds.
3. Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit
The Neiko 1093A titanium step features some impressive construction standards. As the name suggests, it uses titanium to deliver an extra amount of durability. It has a 3/16th increment for depth. And the two flute design ensures less particulate contamination.
- It’s a fantastic bit for quickly drilling through material.
- The design even allows for less particulate debris during high speed drilling than one might expect.
- They also hold up well in harder steel projects.
- The flatted shank fits into any power tool’s chuck securely and eliminates slipping.
- It can rust a little easier than one might expect.
- In general one shouldn’t leave drill bits sitting out in unprotected conditions, but it’s a little more important with this bit than many others.
At first, you might be turned off by the fact that there are only three bits in this set. However, once you use them, you will quickly realize that their quality is worth the price. The bits have 6, 13, and 9 steps respectively, that cover a great number of sizes so you can drill numerous types of holes with relative ease.
2. TEMO M35 Cobalt Spiral Flute Step Drill bit
The TEMO M35 uses a special heat resistant design to achieve superior performance. Better performance with heat means that it can run faster and longer on even very hard surfaces such as hardened steel. It has a 4 mm step range and about a 32 mm cutting edge. M35 is also less prone to chipping when used for interrupted cuts.
- It features far more cobalt than is usual for drill bits. Instead of using a thin coating it features percentages which actually impact strength and durability.
- While it’s priced higher than others on this list, it’s still fairly reasonable for what you receive in this package.
- It’s heavily resistant to dulling.
- It has double spiral flutes for more efficient swarf clearance.
- The pouch in which the bit comes feels cheap and wobbly.
- It’s priced quite high for a single bit, regardless of its quality.
The price might be high for a single bit, but it makes up for this with top-notch overall quality. The fact that it’s less prone to clipping and that it’s highly heat-resistance will please anyone who’s looking to work on heavy-duty projects.
You can achieve a lot with a good drill bit as long as you’ve got one of the best cordless drills on the market today!
1. IRWIN Industrial Tools 316015 Cobalt Drill Bit
The IRWIN cobalt drill bit is specially made for long term use. You can even reshape them after they’ve been dulled by long, hard work. IRWIN assumes you should be able to use the bit for an extended period of time. The 135 degree split point needs less force to achieve high quality results. And the reduced shank size provides greater versatility.
- Everything about this drill bit comes from an assumption of long term use – from easy resharpening to an extra hard construction which can better stand up to inevitable heat and friction.
- It’s a drill bit for people who don’t want to constantly buy new replacements.
- Hardened steel projects take their toll on anything, but this is intended to stand up to it.
- The price is still somewhat high, but you also need to factor in how often the cheaper options need replacement.
Apart from the price, there nothing we can complain about this drill bit set. And even so, the price is still decent compared to our previous item which only featured a single bit. You won’t be disappointed by these drill bits for hardened steel.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I take good care of my bits?
Make sure you wipe and clean the bit as you work. Wipe it with a clean cloth every 5-10 minutes to ensure an increased lifespan. Make sure to also clean it after use and apply oil. It is also recommended to use a sharpener from time to time.
The drill bit makes an awkward squeaking noise. How do I fix it?
This usually happens because you’re running it too fast or for too long. Try slowing down the drill’s RPMs or letting it rest for a while. Allow a short recess period between each session.
The drill bit gets too hot when I’m working. How can I avoid that.
Follow the steps in our previous answer. If that doesn’t help, try lubricating the bit. Some surfaces might be too thick for it to penetrate seamlessly, which makes the bit prone to heat. Use lubricant oil or water during operation to cool down the bit. Just be careful not to spill water on the drill’s electric components.
How do I sharpen drill bits?
You can sharpen drill bits by using a metal grinder. Hold the sharp edge of the bit at 60 degree angle and let the metal grinder do the sharpening.
The best drill bits for hardened steel require some consideration about your overall needs. When thinking about overall quality and specifically about the right bits for hardened steel, the IRWIN cobalt drill bit earned top ranking.
It also ranked high because of its long-term resistance. Of course, each user might have their own personal preferences. We encourage you to leave us a comment with your opinion regarding the subject at hand.
By sharing your opinion, people can more easily judge how the drill bits fit when it comes down to their own unique style. So go ahead and share your ideas with us and the rest of the drilling community.
Note: While you’re here, you may also find our article on the best benchtop drill presses useful.
Our latest posts