The best portable drills offer you the possibility of working on many different projects on the fly.
Anyone starting a project wants to ensure they have the best possible results. And for many projects, portability might be a key factor. And with so many new portable drills always showing up on the market, choosing the best ones might be a challenge.
- Best Portable Drills (Updated List)
- 8. SKIL 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver
- 7. Pink Power Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Drill
- 6. Ridgid Fuego Lithium-Ion 1650 RPM Cordless Drill
- 5. WORX Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill
- 4. Black & Decker BDCDMT120 Lithium-Ion Matrix Cordless Drill
- 3. CACOOP 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
- 2. DEWALT 20V MAX XR
- 1. BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill
- Final thoughts on the best portable drills
Best Portable Drills (Updated List)
We’ll consider the latest models in order to determine the best portable drills of 2020.
Several factors will come into consideration for ranking. We’ll compare everything from price, power, expected longevity, and general user satisfaction.
But before we get into the list, here are our top three picks based on reliability, specs, and overall quality:
8. SKIL 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver
Often touted as the go-to DIY drill, the SKIL 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver has a forward/reverse LED indicator so you always know which direction you’re driving.
The SKIL 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver comes default with a belt attachment, LED work light, speed, and torque controls, as well as a battery with excellent temperature resistance.
- You can change between the forward and reverse direction with the simple push or pull of a switch.
- Five different speed settings that change easily with the position of the trigger.
- You can also adjust a limit for the speed settings with a slide located on top of the drill.
- A button on the battery will allow you to see the exact charge level.
- Comfortable rubberized grip.
- The chuck might not hold some bits very tightly.
- Its torque can be underwhelming at times.
The SKIL 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver is amazing considering the fact that the price falls way below $100.
Many users appreciate the fact that this portable drill comes with a comfortable rubberized grip that doesn’t hurt your hand even if you’re drilling without gloves on.
It’s also worth noting the fact that you can adjust the speed of this drill in two different ways: either by how much pressure you put on the trigger, or by using the slide found on top of the portable drill.
7. Pink Power Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Drill
The Pink Power Lithium-Ion cordless drill is notable because of its uncanny style.
The actual performance is fairly standard for a lower mid-range drill, and the price reflects that as well. Being an 18-volt drill makes this compatible with many rechargeable batteries for power tools.
But it’s notable for the fact that it’s specifically tailored to women. Very few companies make portable drills designed specifically for the other gender. The Pink Power Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Drill manages to be both fashionable and useful, coming with an all-inclusive set.
- It’s a solid drill with good build quality, especially for the price.
- Targets women specifically, which not many drills do.
- Features a reliable LED light for working in dark and tight spaces.
- Its lower weight guarantees that you won’t be fatigued as easily.
- Can accommodate smaller hands.
- Aside from style, there’s little to distinguish it from other portable drills.
- It’s not meant for heavy use or for hard projects.
As long as you use it occasionally, or for small projects, the Pink Power Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Drill will serve you well.
It has acceptable features for its price range, and the fact that even beginners can use it with ease might make it attractive toward that specific crowd.
6. Ridgid Fuego Lithium-Ion 1650 RPM Cordless Drill
Coming with a 24 position clutch to drive between 0 and 535 inch-pounds of torque, the Ridgid Fuego lithium-Ion drill offers an interesting variation on traditional designs.
The drill’s micro-textured rubberized grip offers extra control regardless of the position you choose to hold it in. On top of that, the detachable handle will give you even greater control.
Furthermore, the Ridgid Fuego Lithium-Ion 1650 RPM Cordless Drill has a keyless chuck, which allows you to change bits seamlessly.
- It offers a 24 position clutch with torque between 0 and 535.
- It’s reasonably priced for what it offers.
- The micro-textured grip ensures you’ll be able to keep a steady hold even in rough conditions.
- The side handle is both detachable and useful for greater control.
- Some users may not like the slow speed.
- It’s a little underpowered for constant daily use.
The Ridgid Fuego Lithium-Ion 1650 RPM Cordless Drill manages to keep a relatively affordable price while still being one of the best portable drills you can find today.
At just slightly above 3 pounds, this amazing portable drill still manages to deliver fantastic torque and speeds of up to 1650 RPMs. Lastly, the LED light adds even more value to the package as it allows you to see clearly in dark and tight spaces.
5. WORX Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill
The WORX Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill offers a variable two-speed gear train to meet a variety of needs.
With an additional 12 torque control settings, it’s a good fit for people who want to maximize their options. Furthermore, it’s so powerful that it can be compared to some of the best power drills out there.
It’s one of the best portable drills for people who want to cover as many projects as possible. The fact that you can switch between two bits with the simple press of a button, makes the WORX Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill an easy to use, portable drill.
- The two chucks allow you to change between two completely different bits with the press of a button.
- Compatible with other Worx batteries.
- Many users appreciate the power that this drill delivers.
- Automatic torque control stops you from stripping screws.
- Work in dark or dusty spaces with the trigger-activated LED light.
- The bit loading mechanism might take a while for some people to become accustomed to.
- It has a little more wobble than other drills.
If you’re looking for something that can change bits on the fly, the WORX Switchdriver 2-in-1 Cordless Drill might be your personal best portable drill.
Also, if you have other Worx products lying around, the fact that the batteries are compatible will them might be another great selling point for you. And when it comes to ease of use, the torque control stops automatically to avoid stripping screws, so it’s a safe bet for beginners as well.
4. Black & Decker BDCDMT120 Lithium-Ion Matrix Cordless Drill
The Black & Decker BDCDMT120 Lithium-Ion Matrix Cordless Drill is part of the patented modular matrix quick connect system.
This allows for a huge amount of variety in how you can use it and it allows you to try various attachments for drilling, cutting, sanding, and more.
Coming with 10 clutch settings, a quick charger, and a few other useful accessories, the Black & Decker BDCDMT120 Lithium-Ion Matrix Cordless Drill is worth every penny even though you might not consider it one of the more affordable portable drills on the market.
- The modular Matrix Quick Connect system is easily the most interesting thing about this drill.
- Powerful 20v MAX* motor.
- The battery is powerful enough to last you for at least a few hours of working time.
- Although the casing is plastic, it’s one of the sturdiest portable drills you can find right now.
- The price might be too high for some people.
- Its chuck has a tendency to loosen when driving screws.
If you’re aiming for versatility, look no further than the Black & Decker BDCDMT120 Lithium-Ion Matrix Cordless Drill.
The Matrix Quick Connect System is a phenomenal game-changer. It allows you to swap the head of the drill with that of a completely different tool, making it the Swiss Army Knife of the handyman’s world.
3. CACOOP 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
Looking for something with an emphases on quality? Then one of the best choices is the CACOOP 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill.
It’s not so much focused on the number of features as it is on resilience and durability. For its price, this affordable portable drill is absolutely astonishing.
The CACOOP 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill has a much better charge time, build quality and general performance than many other portable drills out there.
- It features an impressive build quality.
- Two speeds and 19 position torque settings.
- Its ergonomic design means that everything from holding it to using it becomes significantly easier.
- It comes with a sturdy and well-organized hard carrying box.
- The battery charges completely in one hour.
- The magnetic bit holder does a good job.
- You need to disconnect the battery to recharge it.
The CACOOP 20V Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill is a reliable and durable portable drill that can hold a charge quite well.
Its emphasis is on getting the basic job done without having too many extra features. Even so, it still has the things that handymen look forward to when working with the best portable drills, such as an LED work light, a belt hook, a magnetic bit holder, and it even comes with a set of reliable bits.
2. DEWALT 20V MAX XR
A brushless motor, compact and lightweight design and high-speed transmission are all part of the DEWALT 20V MAX XR
This is a solid portable drill that is meant to last for years. On top of the above-mentioned features, it also sports an LED light with three separate working modes and a spotlight mode for an even better view in dark and tight spaces.
Although it weighs just below 5 pounds, it can deliver high torque and speeds of 0-550/0-2,000 RPMs. The ergonomic grip offers great balance and combined with the small weight, you’ll have no trouble controlling and using it for long projects. All of these things make the DEWALT 20V MAX XR an excellent choice for contractors and hobbyists alike.
- It combines power, size, and overall durability into a single package.
- Two variable speed settings with a pressure-sensitive trigger.
- The metal ratcheting chuck has a superior grip on bits compared to regular chucks.
- LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function.
- Sometimes it may be harder to change bits because they tend to stick inside the chuck.
- On some units, the battery might rattle if you shake the tool too hard.
The DEWALT 20V MAX XR provides some excellent features and great quality at a price that can still be considered decent.
Most users who have bought this quality portable drill are amazed at how reliable it is, being able to handle a multitude of projects with ease. And this model is so good that you could even place it in the top best 20V cordless drills.
1. BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill
If you’re looking for the best portable drill that puts emphasis on power and affordability, the BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill might just be your best option.
It offers a fairly compact and light design which is perfect if you need to take your drill everywhere you go.
But because of its portability, you might think that the BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill sacrifices power.
Gladly, that’s not the case, as it comes with a torque of 115 in-lb and 11 torque settings, as well as 650 maximum RPMs. This gives it the ability to handle many materials from wood to plastic and even some metals.
- It has a great combination of power, portability, and price.
- Many users appreciate its efficiency for everyday tasks.
- The clutch also has a setting that prevents you from accidentally stripping screws.
- LED work light that does a phenomenal job.
- The instruction manual isn’t too explicit, so you might have to search for information about how to use all its features elsewhere.
The BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill is an efficient portable drill that handles everyday tasks well.
It takes our top spot for the best portable drills because of the combination of price, power, and portability. This portable drill manages to cram all these features together seamlessly and still satisfy even people with a relatively low budget.
Final thoughts on the best portable drills
Most of the portable drilling options listed so far have something to set them apart from the rest.
They’re solid contenders for the best drill in a variety of different circumstances. However, the BLACK&DECKER LDX120C Lithium-Ion Drill’s ranking among the best portable drills is due to the fact that it matches most of them.
This means it can do a little bit of almost everything. However, readers are encouraged to share their own experiences. Every project and tool can bring about unique features worthy of discussion.