As a DIYer or a professional, you understand that different projects contain different materials that may require drilling. For the best outcome, it’s best to choose the right drill bit for the job.
Today we’re talking fiberglass! As a delicate material, drilling fiberglass can be challenging but we’re here to help. Below we share our expert buying guide and a comprehensive review of our top 5 drill bits for fiberglass!
Comparison Table of the Top-Rated Fiberglass Drill Bits
This table gives a brief overview of the 5 most popular fiberglass drill bits from the top brands on the market. Just immediately after this section is our detailed buying guide, followed by the product descriptions.
Drill bits are available in a variety of options since they are made to fulfill different drilling tasks. While the price is essential in the selection of drill bits, it shouldn’t be your key factor in determining their efficiency.
The following features will help you to choose the right bits for your drills.
The thickness or width of a bit is what describes its size. Fortunately, drill bits come as a set with the most popular bit sizes ranging from 1/16 to ¼ inches for increased versatility.
This means that the more the bits and availability in different sizes, the easier it will be for you to finish various tasks.
Drill bits are either made from high-speed steel, cobalt, or steel. Steel bits are the most affordable but are also most suitable for soft materials like wood because they get dull or break easily when used on harder surfaces.
Cobalt and HSS are the most preferred for heavy-duty materials like metal, hardwoods, and combos like PVC or fiberglass.
The shape of Bit Point
The shape of the bit’s tip defines the type of material it can be drilled into. The most common bit shapes are namely:
- Speed Helix bits – aggressive, drill into surfaces quickly and are more durable than the others.
- 118° point bits – majorly crafted for use on plastic, wood, and light metal.
- 135° point tips – best for heavy-duty drilling tasks on strong materials like metal or slow boring.
- 90° bit points – especially good for fast cutting.
Drill Bit Shank
The shank of a drill bit is the furthest end that you fit into the chuck. The chuck of a drill has mechanical arms that are used to hold the bit.
There are different types of bit shanks, namely:
- Tri-flat – great because they prevent spinning when used in high torque loads.
- SDS – specially designed for hammer drills and don’t need tightening.
- Rounded – accurate, allows you to center the bit into a drill’s chuck, but prone to slippage.
- Straight – Great accuracy and centering abilities but also problematic to tighten and slip.
- Hex shanks – ensure the chuck grips the bit firmly to deliver maximum torque.
The bit points need a beautiful finish to increase their overall performance. The regularly used bit finishes you will come across are titanium nitride and black oxide.
- Titanium-coated drill bits are preferred over the High-Speed Steel (HSS), cobalt, and the others. This is because the bits are more robust, stay sharp for long, and produce less friction.
- On the other hand, black oxide-coated bits are highly resistant to heat and help prevent corrosion.
Number of Bits
The number of bits varies from one package to the other. Most drill sets have around 14-21 pieces of bits, while others may have more.
A high number of bits bring more flexibility and helps you to minimize the cost of making frequent purchases in the future.
In short, the number of drill bits will determine the number of tasks you will complete.
Review of the Best 5 Fiberglass Drill Bits on the Market
We understand the task of finding good fiberglass drill bits isn’t easy. This is why we have selected the best brands, followed by a brief description of each. This is to ensure you purchase a drill bit set that suits your needs.
1. Dewalt 21-Piece Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set
- This set of 21-pieces of drill bits ranging from sizes 1/16 inches to ½ inches from Dewalt brings in the versatility that you’ll love.
- All these Dewalt bits are contained in a tough plastic bag for safe storage and portability.
- The bits have a durable titanium pilot point, which is great for drilling into plastic, wood, or non-porous metals.
- Unfortunately, the drills get dull quickly when used on heavy-duty surfaces.
- Finally, the non-spin shanks, together with the tapered web design, elongate the durability of the bit by resisting breakage.
Buyers are raving over this highly rated drill bit set. They are strong and durable and a great value for something of this quality. Be aware that these are labeled in imperial versus metric terms. “These are brilliant drill bits and do the job perfectly.”
2. Milwaukee 18-Piece Shockwave Titanium Drill Bit Set
From the sturdy plastic storage bag with special bit compartments to the different bit sizes, this 18-piece Milwaukee drilling set delivers beyond your expectations.
- The bits range from size 1/16 to 3/8 inches.
- They have a 135-degree angled tip for different drilling applications on wood, PVC, and selected metals.
- The extended hex shank geometry allows easy clearance of debris or chips for a frictionless and cool drilling process.
- However, the hex shape of the bits does reduce their usable length.
- Lastly, the durable titanium coating on each bit tip minimizes heat buildup and warping even if you drill through different surfaces.
Buyer’s Feedback Section
Our list continues with another highly rated, popular set. This set is more of an investment but based on reviews they are worth it. Multiple buyers mentioned that this was the best set they have ever owned. “These drill bits work great for the handyman who does a lot around the house and for the contractor.”
3. ENERTWIST Titanium 230-Piece 118° Drill Bit Set
This full-size ENERTWIST drill set is comprised of 230 pieces of 3/64 inch to ½ inch bits for most wood, metal, fiberglass, or plastic drilling applications.
- Despite their durability, the bits may not hold up to heavy-duty drilling on masonry, metal, or concrete.
- All the bits come appropriately arranged in a sturdy cushioned container according to their sizes, so you don’t mix them up.
- Also, these bits last 6 times more than the conventional ones. This is thanks to the titanium coating that help to minimize heat buildup.
This is an affordable option on our list, as it includes a full range of high-quality drill bits. There is some mention of some of the sizes not holding up over time, but the majority of users were pleased with the longevity of this set. “Decent quality, great assortment, incredible price.”
4. Rowiz 3 Pcs Titanium Step Hex Shank Drill Bits
- These HSS (High-Speed Steel) Rowiz bits are coated with titanium to boost their durability and efficiency.
- Although the package has only 3 bits, they are suitable for various applications on metal, fiberglass, wood, and even plastic.
- The hex shank allows easy fitting into a drill’s chuck for efficient drilling.
- Finally, the bits range from sizes ¼-inch to ¾ inches and have 6 to 13 steps for convenient use on different surfaces.
5. Dewalt DW1342 Titanium 21-Piece Drill Bit Set
This 21-piece drill set is almost similar to the #1 Dewalt bit in this list. The major difference is that the earlier ones have a pilot-point tip while these have a speed tip for reduced walking.
- The bits are ergonomically designed with non-spin shanks to provide a safe hold onto the drill.
- A range of sizes from 1/16-1/2 inches meets different drilling applications on wood, plastic, or metal.
- Their titanium coating increases their life span, primarily when used on non-ferrous metals.
We wrap up our list with another highly-rated set. These bits are sturdy, with a strong design and a strong titanium finish. Reviewers were pleasantly surprised by the quality of these, with many saying these are a great addition to their tool kit. “Highly recommend this drill set; excellent on wood, and cuts through thin (but tough) aluminum easily.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you still not get the gist of drill bits? Most likely these questions will help you out.
Can drill bits be sharpened?
Drill bits are bound to get dull after some time because they aren’t meant to stay sharp forever. The bits can be sharpened easily using a bench grinder.
Can bits be used on any drill?
Many drill bits are interchangeable. You must, however, consider the bit shank size or the extent to which the drill chuck opens for correct fitting.
How can I drill a hole into fiberglass?
Since fiberglass is a delicate material, the drilling has to be done with precision to prevent chipping off the edges.
Our Best Pick
Dewalt is a manufacturer that is known for its high quality and efficient tools. This is no wonder its Dewalt 21-Piece Titanium Pilot Point Drill Bit Set is our top choice.
The set comes with different bit sizes that feature pilot titanium-coated tips with non-spin shanks for added durability. What’s more, the 22 bits are comfortable to carry around because they come in a convenient storage bag.
Getting the right bit for your drill makes your craftwork easy. Drill bits are available in different sizes, materials, and shapes since they are made to perform multiple functions. Working into surfaces like fiberglass requires high-quality drill bits that won’t break or get dull quickly despite being subjected to rigorous tasks.