A hammer drill is a great addition to any tool collection. Hammer drills create easier work on hard surfaces including:
With dozens of hammer drill brands on the market, how do you know which one to buy?
To help you make the right decision, we’ve selected the 5 high-quality DeWalt hammer drills that are worth considering.
The drills are not only high-quality but also:
- Feature variable speeds
- Offer top durability
- Deliver more power
That said, we hope our DeWalt hammer drill reviews and buying guide will help you determine the very best hammer drill for you.
Pick a DeWalt Hammer Drill
- The DeWalt company was formed in 1924.
- It is a leading manufacturer of high-quality and professional power and hand tools.
- Beyond their strong legacy, what makes DeWalt a great brand is the fact that they have always delivered guaranteed tough products.
Simply put, their tools are made to withstand the toughest job site conditions.
- Their products are known to feature innovative designs without breaking the bank.
- For this reason, DeWalt has become a popular and trusted brand of tools, especially for commercial contractors.
Furthermore, when it comes to their hammer drills, the brand offers a full range of corded and cordless options.
As such, you’re sure to find a drill that meets your unique drilling needs.
Comparison Table of the Top-Ranking DeWalt Hammer Drills of 2023
Review of the Best 4 Hammer Drills by DeWalt on the Market
Convinced that DeWalt is the way to go? Read through a quick overview of some of the best options for you on the market.
1. DeWalt DWD520K Hammer Drill
Here is yet another highly performing DeWalt hammer drill that offers dual modes.
Basically, you can use it as a hammer drill or a drill in drilling applications such as:
- We love the flexibility of use with this drill, but another feature stands out even more.
- This corded drill is powered by a 10.0 Amp motor that delivers 50% more power compared to other options.
- On top of that, the motor is equipped with an overload protection system for optimal durability.
- The unit comes with a soft grip handle featuring a two-finger trigger for greater control and comfort.
- Also, the handle boasts 360 degrees locking side for increased versatility.
Ultimately, we love the flexibility, comfort, and power that this drill offers!
Another powerful drill on our list, buyers are raving over this one. It works well on tough materials and buyers also mention how quickly it works. Buyers state that this is sturdy and well designed, a great option for any buyer.
2. DeWalt DCH273B 20V MAX SDS
If you’re looking for a high-performance hammer drill that delivers exceptional drilling experience, the DeWalt DCH273B might fit your budget.
Similar to the DeWalt DCD996BR, this model also features a brushless motor for increased runtime.
- The unit boasts a durable German-made mechanism that produces up to 2.1 joules of impact energy.
- This allows you to enjoy the benefits of corded power without the cord.
- As if that’s not enough, this drill uses an Active Vibration Control system that helps minimize vibration while in use.
- Coupled with this unit’s great power-to-weight ratio, the system results in increased productivity and user comfort.
Our list of highly-rated drills continues with this reliable option. Users were surprised by the power, as many experienced cordless drills that weren’t as powerful as their corded counterparts. “Very strong, smooth operating, and fast.”
3. DeWalt DCD985B 20V MAX
Featuring three-speed transmission, this unit allows you to choose the best speed for the task at hand.
So, whether you want to drill at the slowest or highest speeds, this hammer drill has you covered.
- This model runs on a high-efficiency motor designed to deliver up to 450-unit watts out of the maximum power.
- It ensures outstanding performance in all applications.
- The drill includes a heavy-duty metal ratcheting chuck along with carbide inserts.
- As a result, you can enjoy great bit-gripping strength, especially during high-speed applications.
Buyers have used this for both large, professional projects as well as lighter projects around the house. It is powerful, reliable, and moves quickly. “This hammer drill is the PERFECT tool for any drilling occasion.”
4. DeWalt DCH133B 20V MAX XR
If you’re looking for a compact hammer drill, this model brings the best value for the price.
Its small size means you can comfortably and effectively use this drill in space-restricted areas without compromising on performance.
- This drill is powered by a brushless motor.
- 20V MAX lithium-ion battery gives superior drilling power.
- On top of that, it utilizes DeWalt’s optimized 2.6J mechanism, which is faster compared to corded speed operation.
- The unit is designed to maintain speed throughout the drilling application without bogging down even with the largest bits.
With these features, you can trust this compact hammer drill to perform well in many applications.
We wrap up our list with another highly rated drill option. “Great hammer drill, versatile tool! Plenty of power.” This is accurate and powerful and would be a good add to any toolbox – for both professionals and DIYers.
Choosing the Right DeWalt Drill
Finding the right drill for your needs can be hard if you don’t know where to start. So, if you’re searching for the best DeWalt hammer drill, here are our top 5 recommended features to take into consideration:
1. Cordless vs. Corded
One of the most important features to consider is a drill’s power source.
Whether the unit is cordless or has an attached cord creates different factors to consider.
- Generally, cordless units are battery-powered which makes them extremely portable.
- You can basically use them anywhere you need without worrying about wall outlet access.
- However, their runtime is limited by how long the batteries can hold a charge.
- You’ll need to either charge or replace the batteries over time as well.
- Corded hammer drills, on the other hand, require you to plug the tool into an electric power source.
- Because you’re plugged into an outlet, you don’t have to worry about batteries dying before completing the job.
- However, these units can only be used where there is a wall socket, so they’re not as portable as cordless options.
Another feature to consider is the power of the hammer drill. Basically, the more power a unit has, the quicker it will be able to complete a task.
- Hammer drill power is usually expressed in watts.
- Some units feature up to 500 watts which are enough power for most DIY applications.
- However, if you want a drill for heavy-duty applications, you should consider one with 900 watts or more.
If you want a hammer drill that offers more control and precision, you should consider one with variable speeds.
- The more speed settings a drill has, the more tasks it can perform.
- As such, you can select the best speed depending on the job at hand.
- Generally, the best units have speeds of up to 3,000 RPM for superior performance, especially in hard materials.
- Therefore, if you have many different drill needs, look for a drill with multiple speed options that can go up to 3,000 RPM.
Another factor worth considering is the construction of the tool.
- A good hammer drill should have an ergonomic handle with a superior grip for both comfort and increased control.
- Additionally, the unit should be housed in a durable casing, like all-metal, to ensure long-lasting performance.
- More importantly, it should be lightweight for ease of use.
- A well-constructed hammer drill will be comfortable and convenient to use without compromising on durability to last a long time.
5. Size of the Chuck
The chuck of a drill is typically where the drill bit attaches to the drill. Chucks can come in different sizes, which range from 3/8-inch to 1/2-inch for most hammer drills.
- Generally, the chuck size determines the maximum size of the bits it can comfortably accept.
- So, if you want more versatility, you should consider a bigger chuck that will accommodate both small and large bit sizes.
- At the least, make sure the chuck of your drill will work with any bits you already have.
What Are People Saying?
Overall, DeWalt hammer drills have received positive reviews on the internet.
- A lot of reviews agree that the products are well made and the manufacturer does offer great customer service.
- In general, reviews also remark that the quality of most of the tools is top-notch and the prices are fair.
- In terms of negative feedback, there are some complaints about DeWalt’s customer service as far as processing warranty is concerned.
- Additionally, the most common user complaint is that most of DeWalt’s cordless products don’t come with a battery and charger.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to some of the frequently asked questions about DeWalt hammer drills.
Q: Can I use a hammer drill as a regular drill?
It depends on the brand of the drill.
Some of DeWalt’s hammer drills have drill and hammer mode while others only have a hammer mode.
Q: Are DeWalt hammer drills worth the money?
Yes, their drills are made with durability in mind and can handle different drilling applications with ease.
You’ll likely get more value for your purchase by going with a DeWalt hammer drill.
Which is the Best Choice?
Our top pick for the best hammer drill is the DeWalt DCD996BR 20V MAX XR.
- This option boasts a high-efficiency motor that makes drilling in masonry materials effortless.
- On top of that, it’s compact yet powerful.
- The best part? It comes with a keyless chuck which makes it compatible with a wide range of bits.
DeWalt hammer drills are designed to meet customer demand for extreme toughness.
They also boast high-power and efficient motors that deliver superior performance in all drilling applications.
So, whether you’re looking for a hammer drill for light or heavy-duty tasks, DeWalt is a great choice.