If your daily routine involves machining through metal, then finding a drill press that is up to the job is important. After all, metal is one of the strongest, hardest, and most durable construction materials you can ever find.
But how do you determine which is the best drill press with so many models available on the market? Well, there is a lot to consider, including:
- Power of the motor
- Number of speeds
- Speed range
- Weight of the drill press
If that sounds a bit confusing, don’t worry! We’ve compiled a list of the best drill press for metal to help you find the right one. You can also refer to our buyer’s guide on how to choose the right drill press that suits your needs.
Comparison of Top-Rated Drill Presses for Metal on the Market
Are you in the market for the best metal drill press? Here is a quick head-to-head comparison of our top picks.
Ratings of the Best Metal Drill Presses (Favorites Reviewed)
1. Jet 716200 15 Bench JDP-15B Drill Press”
If you fancy a touch of integrated depth stop for repetitive workshop drilling, then this your best deal.
In our view, this drill press will perfectly help you to bring quick and easy drilling into your workshop.
First, this machine features a paddle-style off button in addition to a power switch function. As a result, it gives your work process a great safety key.
Moreover, with a one-handed belt tension, it provides for fast speed changes work.
- A poly v-belt drive system
- Measures 36.5 x 33.25 x 12.81 inches
- Weighs 122.2 pounds
- High 3500 RPM speed
- This is a highly versatile tool that you can use over a wide range of different tasks.
- For example in case you have a rotary sanding disc in your workshop, you can use it for sanding.
- It allows you to combine it with a mortise bit, making it a handy tool for drilling different stocks.
- In addition to drilling holes in a wooden stock, this tool is highly useful in drill holes into plastic and metal material with the right bit.
- Based on our long time observation, this drill gives you the right speed to enter into your stock without damaging either the stock of the bit.
- Importantly, it has speed variance that allows you to adjust to the right speed for different strokes.
- An example for your metal drilling, this tool will give you bits that enter your stock without wandering.
2. Jet 354170/JDP-20-Inch Floor 20MF Drill Press
For increased safety and precision in your work our team of review experts strongly recommends this drill press for you.
The drill features a build in a work light lamp, a drill chuck as well as key for your working convenience.
Over and above these, the press features a 1.5 hp powerful Motor over a 20-inch floor. This ensures that your work gets a smooth traveling table raising and lowering to your exact requirement.
Again, with a 12-speed spindle, the drill gives your greater working efficiency over 3/4 inch chuck and 150 to 4200 rpm turnover.
- Chuck Size (in): 3/4
- Dual nut locking function
- Crank operated work table
- Built-in work light
- This is one of the most dependable drills to use in your work station.
- First, it is easily applicable to both woodwork and metalwork.
- You will find it very easy to use and hence simplifies you otherwise difficult cuts compared to other tools.
- Moreover, it is a highly precise tool that makes high-quality cuts over many variables without ruining your stock.
- This drill press has the right adjustments to suit your different work needs.
- For example, this drill will give you the right slow pace for drilling through metal but the fast speed for working through the wood.
- The product features different gears that give you an output of up to 500 RPM on its lowest gear and at most 2,500 RPM on its highest.
- This way, you don’t need to own duplicate tools for each different function.
3. Wen 4225 8.6-Amp 15-Inch Variable-Speed Floor Standing Drill Press
If you want to bring versatility to your work station, this is the dream drill press for you.
This press features an iron cast work table that pivots up to 45 in either direction over a surface area of 12-inch by 12-inch.
As if that was not enough, the machine features a 4-inch stroke capacity; as a result, you can drill through 4×4 boards with little effort.
On the other hand, it gives adjustable speed operation that varies from 280 RPM to 3300 RPM complete with a built-in work light lamp. This brings high quality and precision to your work.
- Accurate adjustment gauge
- Highly flexible work light
- Digital speed readout
- Precision laser
- When you want to make the deeper drills into your stock, this is your best companion.
- The machine has 3-1/8 inches spindle travel to give you that deeper plunge into your stock.
- It also features a 9-1/2 x 9-1/2 inch cast iron table to help support your large stock while working.
- Additionally, its cast iron table has the ability to travel up and down for greater spindle distance if need be.
- If you want a drill press that gives you rapid speed changes over your work, this is your dream tool.
- Our team of experts has established that this drill has a handed belt tension for speedy and easy change of speed.
- As a result, the spindle speed that ranges between 210 – 3500 RPM ensures high and consistent performance.
4. Nova 58000 DVR Voyager Drill Press
Do you want a cross-functional tool that can work easily on plastics, metal, glass, or even wood? This drill press was made with you in mind.
The drill has a high torque 1.75HP/2HP powerful direct-drive DVR motor.
Additionally, a great speed variance ranges from the default 50-3000rpm to an option high of 5500Rpm setting. This is fully complemented by a 2MT quill taper, a 6’’ quill stroke, and an 18’’ swing.
To add to your experience, it features a digital quill depth read software together with complete digital speed control and read about.
- Great 5500 RPM speed
- 120 Volts voltage
- Weighs 189 pounds
- Measures 63 x 28 x 18 inches
- This is one of the smoother running drills that you would ever come across. You will love its operation which features very few whistles and bells.
- Compared to many other comparable machines, it does not feature any LED light or cross laser.
- As a result, it is most suited to an experienced user with no need for a laser guide in making the cuts.
- This drill gives you a rare variance of 5 varying speeds which can range from 570 to 3,050 RPM.
- In addition to this, features a 2 2 beam laser system to help function guide it for accuracy when drilling at high speed.
- Compared to many other drill presses, NOVA 58000 DVR Voyager has a better ability to maintain speed functionality as you drill into harder metals.
- This ensures that your work does not slow down.
5. Jet JDP-17 hp 3/4 Drill Press
After an in-depth review of different products, we feel that this is an ideal tool for your quick and easy drill.
First, you will love the machine for its power function features such as a safety key and a large paddle style on/off button.
Moreover, with a single handle revolution, the spindle can make a full 5″ thereby giving you more efficiency. With a one-handed belt tension, it allows rapid speed changes to suit your different task requirements.
Equally important, it features a twin T- slot grooves and a 4 table for accommodating any project. Above all that, a 14 x 19″ sized precision worktable ensures your work versatility.
- Large 14 x 19″ precision
- 115 Volts voltage
- Measures 56 x 23.5 x 11.5 inches
- Weighs 198 Pounds
- For your precise job, this machine gives you the power to deepen your drilling depth and capacity.
- In this case, you will love its adjustable table height of 7-5/8 x 7-5/8-inch coupled with a bevel adjustment of 0 to45°.
- It has a cross laser guide to help you work with maximum precision in addition to a rare ability to use either a corded electric model or run off an AA battery.
- This is your higher-end drill press model for more speed. As a result, you have in your hand an ideal tool for efficient drilling over different materials.
- For instance, this tool will offer you five to six different speeds on a benchtop model.
- The drill features reinforced speed rotation in order to give you slower speed from metal drilling but a fast speed for wood and soft material drilling.
6. Jet Tools – 3/4HP 1PH 115/230V, Floorstanding JDP-17MF, 16-1/2″ Drill Press
This is an amazing tool for your workshop. It is made of cast iron in addition to other heavy steel components.
Our team has observed that it gives you an efficient 3/4 horsepower motor and features 16 speeds ranging from 200 to 3,630 RPM.
For your convenience, this tool features a drill chuck and key as well as a drill press. However, it does not include a bulb for work light and it weighs 200 pounds.
Notably, you can personalize this drill press to your comfort and peace of mind by adjusting the tension on the return spindle spring.
- Weighs 198 pounds
- Measures 56 x 23.5 x 11.5 inches
- ideal 115 Volts voltage
- An Integrated depth stop
- For your different work depths, this tool will help you to limit the drill depth for your accurate repeated cuts.
- For example, it combines an adjustable table height with an efficient depth stop.
- This way your work table can go up or down to increase or decrease your range of spindle traveling into your stock.
- This drill will give you a drilling speed range of five different speeds setting that run from 750 to 3050 RPM.
- As a result, you are able to work with the right drilling speed for your different materials such as woods and metals.
- Moreover, with fast speed drilling our experience tells you that the drill will give precise cutting thereby minimizing the waste from your stock.
7. Shop Fox W1848 Floor Oscillating Drill Press
This is your popular drilling press big brother. Compared to the majority of the other drill presses, Fox W1848 Floor Oscillating Drill Press features an unparalleled oscillating spindle.
As a result, it will give you quality and efficient contour sanding.
Again, our team has observed that the drill is very easy to assemble and it includes sanding drums and an overall height of 63″.
Due to this, it makes for easy conversion from sanding operation to drilling functions in just a few tool-free steps.
- Corded electric powering
- Speed ability of 3050 RPM
- 110 Volts
- Measures 24 x 15 x 63 inches
- With a range of 2-inch travel distance, this tool allows you the flexibility of increasing or reducing drilling depth.
- This you can do by adjusting the work table height for up to a 45° bevel.
- Additionally, you can use it for repeated cuts by spinning its two nuts found on the left-hand side.
- Other features such as LED light to illuminate your work surface make this product stand out as well.
- For your heavy-duty workshop job, this drill will give you a 12-speed control setting.
- With this unique ability, you can adjust and control the operational speed of the machine over different materials accurately.
- Better still, Shop Fox W1848 Floor Oscillating works with a 3/44 HP, and 110 volts more power and speed in working over your tough materials.
- In this case, you will be fascinated by its spindle speed that runs from 250 RPM to 3050 RPM.
8. Powermatic 1792800B PM2800B Drill Press
If you are inclined towards technology in your workshop, we would strongly recommend this drill press for you.
This tool features a modern technology design that incorporates a digital RPM readout. This way, you are able to optimize the application of the spindle speed.
It also allows you to work with a full range of speed with no need for belt changes.
As if that is not enough, our team has observed that it has an adjustable material stop. This allows you to achieve accurate and quick repetitive actions.
- A 90-degree relationship to the table
- Digital RPM readout
- Power capacity 115 Volts
- Measures 58 x 26 x 15 inches
- This drill will allow you the ability to work accurately.
- For example, in case you need to drill precise holes with different widths and depths and over many or thousands of wooden boards, this is the ideal tool.
- All you need to do is to make the right attachment, pile up the stock block, and then adjust the drill press depth gauge.
- You will be surprised how it will inset your desired depth with each plunge.
- We have observed that compared to other drills in the market, this drill does not feature a heavy motor for power.
- This makes it light enough to give you fast action thereby reducing the time you need to make complicated measurements.
- Moreover, with fast action function, this machine will significantly increase your productivity.
- For example in regard to repeated holes drilling, this power drill has nothing on the drill press.
9. TruePower 1/4″ Drill Press with Mini Cross Vise
Are you the workshop pro and ever looking to challenge your wits? Here you go!
This drill press will give you an infinite speed selection powered by its three-speed ranges; 0-5000, 0-6500, and 0-8500 RPM.
Over and above this, TruePower 1/4″ Drill Press with Mini Cross Vise has 4″ cross slide turns.
With this, you have the added advantage of turning it into a milling machine if you so wish. Interestingly it accommodates 0. 79 to 6mm Dia drills.
Equally important, it has a permanent magnet motor that gives it superb variable in speed control.
- Has sturdy chuck key
- Weighs 25 pounds
- Made of metal material
- Measures 22 x 11 x 11 inches
- We have observed that TruePower 1/4″ Drill Press is one of the most dependable drill presses that you can find. For starters, it is very easy to assemble and use.
- Also, the tool will extremely simplify your otherwise difficult cuts compared to other tools.
- You will love this drill for its high quality and precision that minimizes different variables that could otherwise ruin your stock.
- One of the strong points of this drill is a glorious power.
- As a result, it makes for the most ideal tool for your fast drilling of holes.
- This allows you to make precise holes with a quick turn of the feed level.
Buying Guide Factors
Generally, the best metal drill is supposed to be resilient and powerful enough to drill into metals quickly. So, it can be a frustrating experience when you find out that your device isn’t capable of efficiently drilling through metal.
It’s for this reason that there are various factors that you must consider during the entire buying process.
These factors will determine how successful you will be at machining different types of metal, and they include:
Type of Drill Press
Drill presses are available in two types. You can either choose a benchtop drill press or one that sits on the floor.
- Generally, benchtop models are much lighter and tend to take up less space. As such, they are highly portable and more affordable.
- Floor models, on the other hand, tend to be heavier but more powerful than their benchtop counterparts. This makes them ideal for heavy-duty metal jobs. However, they are a bit pricey and also take up more room.
The speed range of your drill press is determined by the number of times the device can rotate in a minute. This is usually expressed in RPM.
Basically, different metal materials require different drilling speeds. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to choose a drill press that boasts a wide speed range.
Typically, the thicker the metal is, the slower the speed you will need to get the job done faster. On the other hand, drilling through thin or weak metals requires higher speeds for the best results.
Another key factor to consider when buying a metal drill press is the motor power. Typically, most products usually display motor power in terms of horsepower (HP).
The higher the number, the higher the amount of torque the drill can deliver. More torque means the easier it will be to drill through the toughest metal.
However, the thickness of the metal you’ll be working on plays a key role in how much motor power you need.
Besides the speed range, you must take into consideration the number of speeds the drill comes with.
Drill presses with more speed variables enable you to get the most out of your device’s speed range. This is because you can adjust the speed range to match your specific needs.
Consequently, you’ll be able to work on different metal materials and complete a task much faster. For the best drilling experience, we recommend you get a drill press for metal with several preset speeds.
The chuck is a three-jawed piece on the drill press designed to hold the bits in place. Basically, the chuck size determines how large of a drill bit you can use.
Generally, most chucks are available in a standard size. As such, they can accept most drill bits. However, some chucks cannot handle large or small drill bits.
For this reason, you must always confirm the size of the chuck on your drill press before making your purchase.
The drilling capacity determines how large of a piece of metal the drill press can allow you to drill at once. So, if you’ll be drilling large pieces of metal, you should lookout for a tool with a big sized worktable.
Other Important Factor
In addition to the above factors, these are also some other features to look out for. For instance, the build of the drill press. The best drill press for meta should be made from high-quality metal to ensure long-lasting performance.
You might also want to consider how heavy the device is and whether it comes with an LED light or not. Lastly, be sure to look out for drill presses that come with a good warranty.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’ll take a look at the commonly asked questions regarding drill presses specifically designed for metal. Check them out.
Q: What is the fastest way to drill through metal?
A: It is recommended to drill through metal using a slow speed. Faster speeds make the bits become hotter and dull out quickly.
Q: Do I need a special drill for metal?
A: Yes, you do. Regular drills cannot cut through most metals, including steel. So, you need a heavy-duty drill press to get the job done.
Q: Can I drill through-hardened steel?
A: Yes, you can but using a heavy-duty drill press with higher motor power and speed range. This is because drilling through metal is a lot harder than drilling through other materials.
Q: Are drill press bits different?
A: The main difference is the coating and the quality of the bits. Some are made from High-Speed Steel while others are carbide tipped. However, drill press bits for metal are designed to be harder and sharper.
Q: How do I maintain my metal drill press?
A: Drill presses for metal don’t require a lot of maintenance work. However, you can clean the drill using a metal-approved lubricant and cloth when it gets dirty.
Our Best Pick
After a thorough review, we strongly recommend the NOVA 58000 DVR Voyager Drill Press as the best drill press for metal.
This tool is an upgraded version of the HSS allowing it the capacity to drill into harder steel and stainless steel. Above all, it features one of the hardest carbide brittles available for drilling big materials.
Wrapping It Up
Although there are many drill presses in the market, not all of them can easily drill through the toughest metal. However, all the above models are built to drill through any metal piece you can think of with great precision. So, consider your options carefully before making your purchase.