Plexiglass is a clear plastic material that is commonly used in place of glass because it’s lightweight and also extremely durable.
You may find yourself working on a project that requires drilling plexiglass, so let’s prepare!
Having the best drill bit can make this job pretty straightforward. You’ll need a drill bit that will offer precise cuts without chipping and cracking the plexiglass. Keep reading to see our top choices!
Comparison List of the Top-Rated Drill Bits for Plexiglass
Don’t have time to go through the entire article? We’ve got you covered! Here is a quick overview of everything you may need to know about each drill bit.
Reviews of the Best Plexiglass Drill Bits on the Market (Updated)
1. Crl 1/4” Plexiglass Drill Bit
Designed especially for drilling plastic materials, you really cannot go wrong with the CRL brand.
- What really stands out about this product is its extra sharp taper point.
- This feature makes drilling effortless, neat, and even fast.
- Additionally, the taper point helps minimize the chances of the plastic to chip and crack during the drilling process.
- This helps reduce wastage of materials, thereby saving you money and time.
- You will be pleased to note that the drill bit is made from durable steel.
- This feature alone is enough to provide the product with longevity.
- As if that’s not enough, the device boasts a special tip angle that is designed to prevent ‘grabbing’ in plastic and makes a cleaner hole.
2. Ftm, Inc Drill Bits Norseman 7pc Set
- Constructed out of high-speed steel (HSS), this drill bit is sure to endure through multiple uses.
- And for added durability, it features a gold-treated surface.
- Some of the drill bit sizes feature a straight shank while others have reduced shanks, allowing you to achieve a secure and firmer connection between the chuck and bit.
- This product includes 7 pieces of drill bits that are available in different sizes.
- The bits are sized from 1/8” up to 1/2”.
- All you need is to choose the best one depending on the type of project you’re working on.
- The device is equipped with a flute and point to allow maximum lubricity.
- Also included is a 60-degree tip angle for easy and precise penetration.
- Consequently, this helps prevent chipping and cracking of the material.
3. Craftics 1/4” Drill Bit
Here is yet another great drill bit that is made specifically for plastic materials, including:
Similar to most high-quality drill bits, this is manufactured from high-speed steel for long-lasting performance.
On top of that, it boasts a diamond dust coating to help you achieve sharper cuts with much more ease.
Additionally, the tool is equipped with a 90-degree point tip designed to provide a cleaner hole. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about chipping, grabbing, cracking or even melting.
And for superior cutting quality, this acrylic drill bit boasts a 0-degree rake. This means you can enjoy chip-free holes.
4. Generic 6 Pc Drill Bit Set
Available in popular drill bit sizes, this set can be used to drill materials such as:
- Formica tiles
Therefore, you can’t rest assured that you won’t be at a loss for the right size.
Additionally, it’s worth pointing out that each plastic drill bit is equipped with wider blade angles. This ensures you get precise and more stable drilling.
Thanks to the stability, the ground tip won’t wander.
The best part? For maximum durability, the drill bits are constructed from C-3 Tungsten Carbide which is the hardest and most versatile material.
As such, the bits can remain sharper longer and can drill virtually all materials.
On the flip side though, compared to steel, this material is much more brittle. Therefore, it may break particularly, if the drill is not held at a constant angle to the workpiece.
5. Crl 1/8” Plexiglass Drill Bit
Always a trusted name in the power equipment, this CRL drill bit is made with quality in mind. Simply put, it is manufactured from high-quality steel to provide better longevity and protection from wear.
- The drill bit is designed, especially for drilling plastic.
- As such, you can expect it to do a clean job on plexiglass.
- However, it should not be used on metal or even wood.
Also worth mentioning is that the tool features a special sharp taper point. This provides easier and fast penetration.
And as a result, you can expect a cleaner hole every time you drill through the plastic.
- The drill bit boasts a unique tip angle that helps prevent “grab” in plastic.
- Also included is a special sharp grind to minimize any chipping or cracking during drilling.
Buyer’s Guide- Key Features To Look Out For
Using the wrong drill bit on plexiglass can lead to disastrous results.
So, to ensure you invest in the best drill bits, below are some of the features you might need to consider.
Drill Bit Material
- Drill bits for plastic are made of different materials, including high-speed steel and C-3 Tungsten Carbide.
- Generally, drill bits made of high-speed steel boast a high level of hardness, are highly resistant, and can be sharpened.
- Tungsten carbide drill bits, on the other hand, offer an increased level of hardness and resistance compared to steel bits.
- However, they are a little more expensive and brittle than their steel counterparts.
- This feature varies from one drill bit to another. Some tools have a 60-degree point angle while others have 90-degrees.
- However, the harder the plastic, the larger the point angle.
- Therefore, a drill bit with a 90-degree point angle is likely to provide fast and neat drilling than its 60-degree counterpart.
Size of the Drill Bit
Another factor worth considering is the size of the drill bit.
- These tools are available in various sizes to choose from.
- Generally, the right size depends on the project you’re undertaking.
- However, for added convenience, you might want to choose a drill bit that comes as a set. This is because you will get the tools in different sizes.
Last but not least, you should consider if the drill bit features a taper point.
- The taper needs to be extra sharp for effortless drilling.
- Generally speaking, this feature is responsible for eliminating chipping and cracking. And as a result, you will get clean holes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Before we conclude, let’s take a quick look at some of the commonly asked questions about the best drill bits for plexiglass.
Q: Do I really need a special drill bit for plexiglass?
Yes, you need it.
Metal drill bits will not work for plexiglass or any other plastic because they are designed to bite into the metal.
Q: Can I use a hole saw on plexiglass?
Your best bet would be bi-metal saws since they have much smaller teeth compared to regular hole saws.
However, the plastic should be supported very well for the best results.
Q: Is there a difference between plexiglass and acrylic?
There is no difference because acrylic is the abbreviation for polymethyl methacrylate.
And as it turns out, plexiglass is among the many brand names of this plastic.
Q: Can I use a wood drill bit on plastic?
Yes, but it may not be as efficient as a drill bit that is specially made for drilling plastic.
It could cause chips and cracks on the plastic.
Which is the Best?
Our top pick is the CRL 1/4” Plexiglass Drill Bit. And not just because it has an extra sharp taper point but also for the fact that’s made from durable steel.
As such, it’s sure to offer longer service while also providing clean holes
Whether you’re a DIY hobbyist or a professional contractor, having the best drill bit for plexiglass is crucial.
The good news is that all the above options we’ve reviewed are sure to provide you with clean holes. Besides, they won’t cause cracking, grabbing, or chipping.